Will my CBD Oil Expire?
You’ve just ordered your CBD Oil and your taking a few drops a day to get the desired level of effect when you notice that it could be a while before you finish your bottle, and you think to yourself, will my CBD expire?
Here are a few answers in regards to CBD Oil and longevity and how you can extend the shelf life of your CBD Oil.
How Long Does CBD Oil Last?
CBD Oil will typically last for 14 months up to 2 years, depending on how the product is stored. Direct sunlight and heat are two factors that can affect the time it takes for CBD oil to expire quicker. Higher quality products tend to last longer than those that have been extracted using the cheapest processes, so full-spectrum CBD Oils should last longer.
Many cannabis experts agree that the CO2 extraction method is the best for producing premium Oils that will stay potent for longer because the cannabis compounds remain intact during extraction. Other methods of removal may destabilize certain compounds from the hemp plant creating a lower quality CBD Oil with a potentially shorter expiration period.
Does CBD Oil Go Bad?
CBD Oil can lose its potency if it is stored in a hot place with lots of light or kept for longer than two years. Weaker CBD Oil will mean that the cannabinoids don’t function properly within the body and therefore don’t provide the level of benefit you are looking for.
Will the Taste of CBD Oil change?
The aroma and the flavour of the CBD Oil may get worse if it has expired, and instead of tasting earthy, they will taste skunky. Visually, Oil may change to a cloudier colour over time. The texture of the Oil may also change, becoming thicker and losing its consistency, and if you spot a change in colour, then this is a clear indication that it is no longer fresh.
Can expired CBD Oil make you sick?
CBD Oil will not go rancid or spoil like other oils or in the same way that milk would, so you are very unlikely to become ill if you consume expired CBD Oil. However, we would recommend throwing away any bottles that have been sat there for over two years to be safe.
How To Prevent Your Oil Expiring Early.
Open the bottle only when in use, then reseal the cap tightly. Oxidation is a foe of CBD and will shorten the shelf life.
- Store bottles upright rather than horizontally.
- Find the coolest, darkest place in your home to store CBD oils and tinctures. Drawers, cabinets, a pantry, and the cellar all make ideal CBD storage centers.
- Try not to store your CBD in a room where you use a humidifier, as excessive moisture can encourage mold to form.
- Do not store CBD oil near a window. Direct sunlight will accelerate the expiration date of any CBD product.
- Keep CBD oil away from all warm places in your home, such as radiators and ovens. Likewise, don't store CBD oil in your purse or pocket for long periods. Any warm place can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- If you're using a spoon or a dropper to dole out the CBD, make sure the utensil is clean. Don't "double-dip" a spoon, as you can introduce harmful bacteria and contaminate the oil.
Enhance CBD Oils are all made using supercritical CO2 extraction and are full-spectrum CBD Oils meaning they will last for up to two years before they potentially expire. Buy a high-quality CBD Oil from Enhance to experience the benefits of CBD Oil at their most potent.